History of La Marzelle
In the 18th century, the La Marzelle estate belonged to the Largeteau family. The family had acquired the domaine from the Religieux de Faises, lords of extensive fiefdoms including the old abbey in nearby Artigues de Lussac.
In 1821, the name La Marzelle appeared on the Belleyme map.
In 1925, the reference "premier cru classé" first appeared on the bottle. Although the official Saint-Emilion classification did not yet exist, this attests to the reputation of this wine and therefore of the château in this period.
1954 saw the first Saint-Emilion classification and La Marzelle was counted amongst the elite of Saint-Emilion.
In 1998, the Sioen family purchased the La Marzelle château and its 13 hectares of Grand Cru Classé vineyards.
In 2002, Château La Marzelle joined the Création du Cercle Rive Droite, an association aiming to promote the wines of the various right-bank appellations of Bordeaux.
In 2003, Château La Marzelle expanded with the purchase of 4 hectares of land from its immediate neighbour. These Saint-Emilion Grand Cru vines needed to be vinified in new cellars. 4 wooden vats were purchased for this purpose.
In 2012, Château La Marzelle and its 17 hectares were certified in the new Classification of Saint-Emilion Wines.
History of Saint-Emilion
30,000 years before our time, Palaeolithic man found that conditions in Saint-Emilion were suitable for settlement.
Our region also shows signs of settlement in the Neolithic period, between 2,300 and 10,000 years ago. (Menhir de Peyrefitte).
The first amphorae of wine were produced during the Roman era in 56 BC. Villas were constructed, including the famous villa of the poet Consul Ausone.
Following Rome's collapse in the 5th century, the Goths and the Alani settled in Aquitaine. During the reign of the descendants of Clovis, the Catholic religion then extended its influence with the evangelising monks who founded monasteries such as the Lucaniac monastery in Saint-Emilion.
Milian, a former monk from Vannes, settled in a cave near to the Dordogne on his way to Compostela and remained there. Following his death in 787, his followers built the monolithic church, which is still standing to this day.
Milian, later known as Emilion, gave his name to the town of Saint-Emilion.
The Benedictines prospered around the Collegiate Church of Saint-Emilion and its cloisters. They needed wine to celebrate mass and therefore began planting vines in the region.
When the town came under English rule in 1152, it sought administrative, legal and financial autonomy with the creation of the Saint-Emilion Jurade, which it obtained in 1199.
Viticulture progressed in the 17th century thanks to an increasing demand for wine in northern European countries. A selection of grape varieties was therefore introduced. The "cru" concept was developed for the best wines.
The Jurade, which had been dissolved during the French Revolution, was resurrected in 1948.
The first French Wine Syndicate was created in Saint-Emilion in 1884. It later became the Conseil des Vins in 2007.